Trusted House Addition & ADU Builders in San Diego, CASchedule a consultation
Create perfect spaces with our house additions
Our house addition services bring value & beauty
Here at Lars Room Additions, our expert team specializes in designing and building beautiful and convenient home additions and accessory dwelling units in San Diego. These self-contained spaces are usually built within or next to existing homes, as places for dwelling, relaxation, hobbies, work, etc. ADUs are also known as in-law units, granny flats, secondary units, and backyard cottages. Ready to improve your San Diego home? Our architects will design a workable plan for your new construction, which our builders can then successfully implement. Get in touch with the leading ADU contractors in the area today.
Our expertise at work
Clairmont Bathroom & Room Additions
Point Loma Room Additions
Our ADU builders can add value to your San Diego home
The perks of our expert house additions
- More space for you and your family
- Perfect relaxation or hobby space
- Offset property taxes and mortgage cost
- Equipping your space with energy-efficient appliances
Why choose Lars for your house addition needs
Why we’re the preferred house addition company in San Diego
3D virtual design
Drafting plans &
Top appliances &
The favorite accessory dwelling unit builders in San Diego
What our satisfied customers think
Hiring Lars was one of the best decisions we had ever made! Their team did an amazing job with our kitchen space, and we are so thankful for all the time they dedicated to us. They expanded our existing kitchen and updated the layout to be more practical and suitable for our needs. What we loved the most about them was that we were always included in the process and they had never missed an opportunity to check in and consult with us on the next steps.
With the baby on the way, we’ll surely need some extra space, and Lars Room Additions will be the first people we call!
Kitchen addition, San Diego
Find out more about our house addition services
Frequently asked questions
How to expand your house?
If your home no longer meets your needs but you and your family would rather not move, a home addition project may be just what you need. Here are some options to consider if you’ve been thinking about investing in a house addition in San Diego.
- Go with a bump-out. If adding a whole floor or room to your home is not a viable option for you, a bump-out house addition may be the perfect solution. For instance, you might have a small kitchen that needs just about 40-50 extra square feet to become a fully functional and comfortable space.
- Opt for a full house addition. This type of house addition is the most popular option among San Diego homeowners, despite being the most time-consuming and expensive of the lot. This is because a full home addition can add substantial resale value to your home, whether you decide to get a new garage, master bedroom, or dining room.
- Convert a room. If you have an extra attic or garage that you don’t use for anything other than storage, converting this space into a more useful room may be a good choice. You can choose to convert your unused room into a craft room, bedroom, or workshop and get that extra square footage and functionality.
- Build a sunroom. Sunrooms are typically unheated spaces made up of large windows that enable you to enjoy the feeling of being outdoors from the comfort of your home. Sunroom house additions are highly versatile and relatively easy to install as they don’t need any additional cooling or heating routing.
- Go big with an ADU. Whether you’d like to have extra renting space or a starter property for your kids, adding an accessory dwelling unit is a great idea. You can choose to add a detached garage with a rented apartment above or create a modern backyard cottage as a convenient space for your close family.
What is considered an accessory unit?
An accessory dwelling unit or ADU is a term used to describe an additional, or secondary home that is built within or adjacent to a primary residence. Some examples of ADUs include guest houses, office rooms, detached garages, and similar house additions.
If you’ve been thinking about improving upon your San Diego home with an ADU construction, you’ll first have to check if you’d be able to add onto your home. As municipal and city permitting requirements and zoning ordinances can sometimes get in the way of these types of house additions, it is essential that you consult with our architects, builders or zoning office to check if an ADU would be doable.
Whether you need more information on ADU building or house addition services or wish to entrust the construction process to experienced contractors in San Diego, Lars Room Additions is your best choice. Let us add value, beauty, and functionality to your residence – contact us today.
What are the types of accessory dwelling units?
You could use the term accessory dwelling unit to describe a wide range of house addition projects. Here are some popular types of ADUs:
- Backyard rooms: This type of ADU is great to have in your backyard as a quiet space to relax, read, and enjoy some quiet time.
- Hobby rooms: In some cases, San Diego homeowners want to take up or go back to an old hobby they used to enjoy. These ADUs can be custom made to fit that need.
- Office rooms: Offices are making a huge comeback in homes and outside of homes. If you need some quiet time in a productive space, an outdoor office ADU can be the perfect solution to get some work done.
- Converted garages: If you have a detached garage that you would like to convert to an ADU, this is a great option because now your ADU has some bones to it. The structure can then be remodeled to fit a more comfortable life.
- Backyard cottages: A small ADU can become anything you’d like. Some ADUs create a cottage feel that makes it appear not only homey but also cozy. These ADUs have stylish kitchens and living space, perfect for inlaws, or using it as a guest room.
What are the benefits of accessory dwelling units?
Well-designed and constructed ADUs can bring a multitude of benefits for homeowners. If you depend on Lars Room Additions, the preferred house addition company in San Diego, you’ll get to enjoy the following perks:
- Added rental income from an ADU can help you offset your property taxes and mortgage cost
- An ADU can be customized to offer affordable, and properly-sized housing that meets the needs of renters
- These house additions can be a starter property for your children or elderly family members
- ADUs are a great option if you want to adapt your space to changing needs and lifestyles
- Investing in quality ADU construction can help reduce urban sprawl through urban infill
Ready to reap the benefits of expert house addition services? Entrust your ADU construction to the leading contractors in the San Diego Area. Lars Room Additions is here to help you create incredible spaces and meet your expanding needs, all thanks to a trusty team of architects, interior designers, and construction specialists.
Does an ADU add value to your home?
An Accessory Dwelling Unit can boost both the quality of your life as well as the value of your property. The added value may come from newly acquired rental income, or boosting the resale value of your home. And if you pick the right house addition contractors to enhance your San Diego home, your ADU is sure to be a worthwhile investment.
What is the best house addition & ADU construction company in San Diego?
Lars Room Additions is a long-standing name in the design and remodeling industry, known for bringing top-quality house additions to homeowners across San Diego. In addition to designing and constructing value-boosting ADUs, we are also at your service for:
- Exceptional quality sunroom additions in San Diego
- Beautiful and convenient kitchen additions in the region
- Stunning master bathroom home additions across the area
- Expertly designed and built San Diego room additions
- Functional and stylish suite additions for San Diego owners
- Professional second-story additions in San Diego and the area
Our expertise-based services are available to homeowners across the area, so don’t hesitate to get in touch whether you’re looking for a way to improve upon your home in Downtown San Diego or boost the value of your La Jolla residence. Contact Lars Room Additions today!